I went out for the first time in ages. I needed it so bad; listening to Lana before heading out, chain smoking and forgetting to book a taxi until it’s far too late to even attempt it. You know those nights when you couldn’t even say if town was busy or not, because you’re so focussed on the people you’re with? I didn’t feel like I was subconsciously keeping an eye out for exs, or looking for people we knew to join our party of two. I lost my wallet, woke up with my clothes strewn around the kitchen, but my makeup was good.
1. Primers are all but irrelevant in my life – I’ve never found one I loved. Instead, I prime my skin with NYX Dewy Finish Setting Spray £7.
2. For a night out, I go matte af with my foundation as I find dewy formulas don’t last in clammy bars and clubs. I use L’Oreal Infallible Total Cover 24-hr Matte Foundation £7.99 in the shade Golden Beige. It’s very matte – it stays put and mutes any imperfections.
3. Next, I bulk out my eyebrows with Barry M It’s a Brow Thing Powder £4.99. I use the shade Medium/Dark. It’s not something I’d use for day-to-day wear as even the lightest touch, thoroughly combed through, creates a pretty bold brow, but the ashy tone makes it a little more natural. Not that natural is my intention when doing my eyebrows, of course.
4. Rimmel Eyebrow Pencil in Black/Brown £2.99 is what I use to add definition and sharpen my edges. And how cheap?
5. I finish my eyebrows with NYX Tinted Brow Mascara £6. The wand is really small, giving good control, and the shade range is pretty all-inclusive.
6. I use MAC Pro-Longwear Paint Pot in Layin’ Low £16 to prime my eyelids. A peachy-toned créme, it provides an even surface for shadow to grip on to. It looks good on its own too; it’s a staple for me any day of the week.
7. I could not live without NYX Ultimate Shadow Palette in Warm Neutrals £16. It is so versatile. I used the matte peach (second row, second left) all over the lid and added depth to the crease and lower lash-line with the matte brick red (bottom row, second left).
8. I’m not so well-practiced with feline eyeliner as I used to be, but the firm point on the Maybelline Master Ink Matte Liquid Liner £5.99 makes precise, jet-black flicks so easy.
9. I use NYX Slide On Eyeliner Pencil £5.50 in the shade Jet Black on my waterline. It’s buttery soft and lasts all night.
10. I’m always open to trying new mascaras – especially when brands are creating objet d’art for mascara packaging. Nevertheless, I keep coming back to Maybelline Lash Sensational Lash Multiplying Mascara £8.99. It just does it all: lengthens, adds volume, define and separates, and the brush seems to find lashes that you didn’t even know existed.
11. I don’t do contouring because I can’t find a product that is the right colour, and I’m just not skilled at it. I’ve tried, but it always looks really unnatural. Instead, I use Maybelline The Eraser Concealer £8.99 in the lightest shade to brighten my brow bones, cheek bones and nose.
12. I make an attempt at strobing using the gold powder (top left) in the Sleek “Cleopatra’s Kiss” Highlighting Palette £9.99. It’s ideal for darker skins or those with warm complexions who find champagne-toned highlighters come up ashy or grey on the skin.
13. I line and fill my lips with NYX Retractable Lipliner in Sand Beige £6 to give extra longevity to my lipstick.
14. NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick £7 in the shade Soft Spoken must be one of the brand’s most popular products. It’s always sold out in my local Boots, and when I wear it I’m bound to be asked what it is. It has excellent staying power and is fairly comfortable to wear. I believe there’s a matching lipliner available now too.
So, only 14 products (and one VSCO filter obv!) to make me look like that.
Born this way (but with many enhancements),